New phpBB forum (First post gets updated)

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New phpBB forum (First post gets updated)

Post by Mokuren on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:31 am

And so it seems Zek will continue coding for a while. Kati and he agreed that Zekas is going to make a new forum to replace our old one. The new one will be created using phpBB3 (so the basics will be the same as now).
Since he's has asked me to help him with the aesthetic part of the designing process, I'd very much like to hear your ideas on this.
Of course we've already thought some things out ourselves, which I will post below, and on which I would also like your opinion.

1. I think we need new topic indicators. We both can never quite tell the difference and see whether there's new posts or not, especially with the popular topic-icon and sticky post-icon. (No I do not mean the black ones on the forum index, those are clear enough ^^)

2. Some parts of our current theme appear to make no sense at all. For instance the question for a poll gets displayed in black text and there's some more unreadable stuff here and there. This will be changed to something that looks better/is actually readable Razz.

3. Our current theme is this somewhat black/ orange /blue combination. Do we want to keep that, or maybe it's an idea to make it appear more similar to the style of our website and our manga reader. Of course it could also come out as something completely different. Just tell me whatever you think will look good, and you could even post pictures, links or screenshot of something you've seen and loved.

4. As for topics and such, we will pretty much copy this forum to the new one. Or well the important parts that is. Maybe it's a good idea if someone goes about to delete all unnecessary topics (Zek: that would be VERY handy but also a lot of work. I could also do an auto-prune to delete all topics before date XX. Or only migrate the stickies/important stuff and start afresh. But that's up to you/Kati).
4. I'm afraid this can't be done and here's why: I'm afraid Forum Motion has disabled SQL exports. It's among several of things not allowed by them (damn free forums...). So we will have to start over. We'll have to manually copy/past important posts to the new forum, which kinda sucks. And we'll lose the user accounts, so people will have to register again. But we'll have a fresh start with a forum that we can manage and change however we like Smile And which hopefully will look better too Razz

5. Forum-mods, are there any requests for certain ones we might need? I personally like the quick reply. I do think however that since the chat on the forum is never used, we might as well lose it. Then there's the facebook mod >_< (Zek: I loves quick-reply, and that's built-in nowadays Smile But yes, do we need the chatbox and weird Facebook integration?)

Sooo, I would like to hear your wildest dreams, and craziest ideas about the forum <3
Because there's got to be something about the forum you'd like to see changed, even if it's something that's already been mentioned, just tell us. Something that you're missing in our current forum, something that's been bothering you, or something you really like and think we should keep.
Brainstorm with us ^^ as it is important to the start of every creative production process. Even if people don't agree on each others ideas, it can always inspire you to think of other things. So, post whatever comes to mind ^^ regardless of what you think others will think of it. Thank you ^^

So thus far the ideas that have been suggested:

Like a Star @ heaven New Banner
Like a Star @ heaven Different theme (colours ??) phpBB3 Styles & Colour Picker
Like a Star @ heaven No more chat/facebook mod
Like a Star @ heaven Better Stafflist
Like a Star @ heaven New post indicator icons
Like a Star @ heaven User titles/ranks (click here for the ranktopic)

Well, we've started working on the forum.
Here is what we have so far

You can login with the following account, cause it looks slightly different while logged in.
Username: testaccount1
Password: testtest

Last edited by Mokuren on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am; edited 7 times in total

Proofreader
Proofreader

Awesome Points : 150

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New phpBB forum (First post gets updated)

Post by Zekas on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:40 am

Since Kati has been having some internet trouble, the big boss-man told me to make a post about this myself Smile Since Mokuren started a topic about the theme/style, I just joined into that post for the other new-forum related questions to you.

Please let us know your opinions so we can do a good job and make a decent forum to replace this one Smile

Proofreader
Proofreader

Awesome Points : 37

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaymoreSmiley on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:25 am

Our logo should be more dynamic and less a bunch of random clips from manga we do. This is mostly just personal opinion though, and as I'm not a visual design person I have no idea what would look cool. All I know is that the current logo text looks nice but behind that it's just like 'blah here's some manga'

Where they will lead I take the plunge eyes wide

Don't talk to me 'til you've played Suikoden 2
ClaymoreSmiley
Translator
Translator

Awesome Points : 131

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zekas on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 am

ClaymoreSmiley wrote:Our logo should be more dynamic and less a bunch of random clips from manga we do. This is mostly just personal opinion though, and as I'm not a visual design person I have no idea what would look cool. All I know is that the current logo text looks nice but behind that it's just like 'blah here's some manga'

Which one do you like better? The forum one or the website/reader one? Two different logo's Razz

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mokuren on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:34 am

Hmm personally, I like the one on the website better, maybe it's an idea to use that for the forum as well. And if the orange is liked, we could possibly edit it a little so it's more fitting for the theme.

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hiyuki on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:05 am

I'm fine sticking with this colour combination.

Nth else I can think of now. Other than a new banner. And maybe multiple banners. And more banners. =|

Hiyuki
Translator
Translator

Awesome Points : 181

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kuja on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:03 am

how about a better staff list? i've seen a good staff list, for the example is Kono-Basho.
it just an opinion, only an opinion. Smile

Typesetter

Awesome Points : 35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ClaymoreSmiley on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:06 am

Oh yeah and what's up with the awesome points and reputation? Neither of those have really any baring on anything and they're kinda useless. Also people feel jaded when they get no rep ever so why even have it?

Where they will lead I take the plunge eyes wide

Don't talk to me 'til you've played Suikoden 2
ClaymoreSmiley
Translator
Translator

Awesome Points : 131

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazama on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:08 am

whoa so we're moving again? :3 sounds good to me and I think that'll be a personalized forum, right? Since Zek will do the coding and all :>

o/ I approve of trashing the chatbox and FB integration in this forum.

Hmm a new banner is needed. Especially the banner from this forum. Orange isnt really liked but I ran out of ideas and made it orange (yes, I made the banner here) ^^ and it surprisingly matched the forum. Orange isnt really our thing so we should change that. Aaaand we were always looking for a graphic artist (or a logo maker) up until now so we really need a new banner.

Though what do you guys think? Should we make our future forum have a brighter theme or a dark theme (just like this one)?

@Kuja: That's a good idea too :3 (I just checked their site)
@claymore: Its there ever since this forum was made. No one really cared before so we left it as it is lol

バカメ!
Hazama
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)

Awesome Points : 10867

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 am

I think you get those rep points when someone clicks the little + above a post. I tried it once, to my regret. If you click that plus, the post will become ugly and orange - So just ignore those.

I think a new banner could be cool yeah, Agree with Claymore on that. This is ofcourse easier said then done because I also don't really have an eye for visual design.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

Awesome Points : 10826

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zekas on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:43 am

kuja wrote:how about a better staff list? i've seen a good staff list, for the example is Kono-Basho.
it just an opinion, only an opinion. Smile

Well, that should be covered on the website itself in my opinion. I did see some text on there that there will be made a better, nicer looking list. I can do that possibly aswell if Kati wants me to. Ofcourse, we could also have a list in/on the forums somewhere. There actually sort of is one now, you can see the members of the different groups (typesetters, proofers, etc).

ClaymoreSmiley wrote:Oh yeah and what's up with the awesome points and reputation? Neither of those have really any baring on anything and they're kinda useless. Also people feel jaded when they get no rep ever so why even have it?

Yeah, it's not saying much. That's also something that isn't in the forum software by default either, so unless specifically requested, it won't be in the new one.

As for my personal thoughts on the banner:
I like the size and shape (rectangle) and look of the website/reader banner, it uses up less space than the forum one, but I do like the cog-logo thingie from the forum logo. So maybe Moku can merge those somehow? Ofcourse, depending on what the rest of the staff would like to see as logo. One uniform logo for all the areas (website, reader, forum) would be the best I think. You can use the same logo for all three but for the forums add 'Forums' (like it had now) to it and 'Reader' for the reader.

And indeed Hazama, that is the question Smile Do we stick with dark? Or switch to light / black & white sort of style like the website and reader? Smile

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazama on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:02 am

I added a poll in this thread. Vote, everyone~ :>

バカメ!
Hazama
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mokuren on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 am

lol ^^ I will.
And then there's this other thing we needa think about, being usertitles/ranks. There's already been a topic on this, I think we should pick up that discussion again, so we can have awesome ranks on the new forum =D RANK TOPIC IS HERE
We could also make it so only staff can change their ranks and put in something nifty ^^

One more thing. I will keep editing the first post so all the ideas are neatly gathered in one place ^^

@ hazama, if you made the banners, can I have the psd files? or are you willing to make the new banner as well?

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zekas on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:15 am

Hazama wrote:I added a poll in this thread. Vote, everyone~ :>

I voted for brighter, not necessarily because I want it brighter, but rather because I'd like to have it look as much like the website as possible Smile Uniform style and such Razz

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mokuren on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 am

We should let vega write descriptions for the staffmembers, and add those to our stafflist. I think he's the right guy for the job ^^

Our memberlist would be pure awesomeness if he did it =D

Hm I found a fun tool. As for theme colours, you could play around with this for a while. If you find a combination you like, just click Scheme ID and a new window will pop up. If you post that url here, everyone will be able to see your awesome colour combinations.

Colour Picker

Last edited by Mokuren on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VegaObscura on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:53 am

ohh yaaaaay descriptions, Even for non skypers?

I shall be the all encompassing morass of justice and grammar, the lord of the lakes,the duke of the thesauri, the arch chancellor of the seen universities, the taster of all things heath, and gardener for elysium. My pending titles extend to racer of tortoises, delver of depths , envoy of the Abyssal Regions, tamer of things that go bump thump or bark.
VegaObscura
Admin
Admin

Awesome Points : 10214

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mokuren on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:57 am

yes vega, this time for all staff. You however don't have to give a title to non-skypers, a simple description for them will do. Razz

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VegaObscura on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 am

okay then apparently new boss and yet not boss. i will try my best to keep them empty of impossible to know references and yet still good enough the new owner will enjoy them,.

I shall be the all encompassing morass of justice and grammar, the lord of the lakes,the duke of the thesauri, the arch chancellor of the seen universities, the taster of all things heath, and gardener for elysium. My pending titles extend to racer of tortoises, delver of depths , envoy of the Abyssal Regions, tamer of things that go bump thump or bark.
VegaObscura
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mokuren on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:25 pm

hmm we should add pictures for everyone, to the stafflist, maybe 120x120 pixels??

and nooo, not your real picture, but something that fits you.

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VegaObscura on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:21 pm

blue and its complementary color very pretty.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/#3N22scH9FuD0s

VegaObscura
Admin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Echo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm cool with piratically any theme... As long as its not super bright colors.
Echo
Typesetter
Typesetter

Awesome Points : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zekas on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Rainbow Brite? Razz

Last edited by Zekas on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zekas on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, I just talked to Kati (as most of you know he's been having some internet issues and is mostly unable to reply on the forums himself) on Skype and had the following to comment:

if you can just post possible mods that you can install on it and let everyone check that would be nifty... also i agree with most of it and i would actually like the facebook add on thing but it doesnt even work right so its useless etc
and i kinda want the forum to match the site as well since it would make it look so much better

In my response to that I wrote that it would be very difficult to post all the possible mods (since that would be somewhere in the hundreds through thousands) and that it would be easier for the staff and users to tell us what functionality they really would like that is absent now.

Kati seems to be in favor of having the forum resemble the website/reader style-wise. Moku is actually trying some concepts on a forum-software installation on my personal webserver, so there's some work in progress Razz

Proofreader
Proofreader

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kuja on Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 am

ClaymoreSmiley wrote:Oh yeah and what's up with the awesome points and reputation? Neither of those have really any baring on anything and they're kinda useless. Also people feel jaded when they get no rep ever so why even have it?

i agree with Clay. scanlators team usually doesn't need reputation, right?

Typesetter

Awesome Points : 35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazama on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:17 am

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU now I evened the poll LOL

@Moku: Imma pass on making the new banner. Which PSD banner should I link you btw? Both?

バカメ!
Hazama
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top