Editor application [PASSED]

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Editor application [PASSED]

Post by muse on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 am

I've never done this before, but since I know Photoshop basics, I wanted to try. I can clean/typeset and even proofread, if needed.

muse
Editor
Editor

Awesome Points : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Editor application [PASSED]

Post by Hazama on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 am

nice Smile we really need a typesetter+proofreader person atm ^^

care to take a look at here first? Smile
this is will teach you the basics of all the editing stuff.. Though I suppose this 'basics' are getting outdated though but meh XP

If you think you're ready, feel free to take the
Cleaning test and the Typesetting test Smile

remember, save in PSD and not in IMG format Wink

バカメ!
Hazama
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)

Awesome Points : 10867

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:26 am

Welcome and thanks for your application Smile.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask ofcourse.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

Awesome Points : 10826

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:37 am

Finished the cleaner's application, here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7d6s6542nastdn0

Took about 2 and a half hours; if you know of faster ways to do what I did, please tell me!

Still working on the typesetter application.

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zc1995 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:36 pm

good luck!!!

zc1995
Typesetter
Typesetter

Awesome Points : 700

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Hmm these page should take so long.. the first 2 pages I can clean (without redraws) in about 30 seconds (without an action also)
Pretty good job, some things (don't worry, everyone who takes the test gets at least this much text from me)
The other 2 take a little longer indeed.
Page 01:
Your black is a bit underleveled and your white a bit overleveled. See the top panel, the background there is supposed to be gray.
and your blacks aren't fully black; should level more to black. Your copying is sometimes a little messy, but a good start Smile.
Oh and you didn't rotate.
Page 02:
Your level to black here was correct, however the white is still a little too much, some lighter grays are gone. Good work on the redraw, although I'd strongly suggest you to set the line tool to 'On the canvas' and not as a seperate shape, so you can do all your lines on a single layer, because now you have over 60 layers of single lines.
Page 03 & 04: (yeah this is why the test should probably be updated, most cleaners don't know how to do these) These ones we do with a special filter, anyways. Your leveling was ok, sometimes a bit under / over leveled to one side. Nice trick with the overlay; it's a bit blurry but it works I guess. Dust cleaning manually is not something we do on these kind of pages; we'll teach you how to tackle these later.

Final word:
Well, you did a pretty good job; You'll need to rotate and crop the pages though. Also, instead of making a seperate levels layer, I would suggest making a background copy and actually level on the copy, mostly because it probably will give you problems, having those levels seperate. (at least I didn't like it). Tankobon pages can be cleaned nicely by you now, I'll give you one more and a little more advanced page; Download this pack, it's some sort of cleaning test I made later, never got incorporated here, but it has nice pages. http://www.mediafire.com/?j4fd23pqz37l710
Don't worry there are 15 pages but you're not gonna clean all those. Just clean page 01 and page 08.
Page 08 needs a bit blackening on the blacks and just leveling wont cut it - I suggest you use the burn tool.
page 01 can be cleaned in under a minute, just do the following - Rotate, crop, duplicate background, level, clean bubbles. Thats all.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Thanks a lot, Supplai! I actually took a lot of time just figuring out some of that stuff; that's why it took so long. Anyway, here's the typesetter test.

http://www.mediafire.com/?46m8jvd792qrnmy

Note: I couldn't find cc Jim Lee on google, so I used the Manga Temple font for thoughts.

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Cleaned pages 1 and 8:
http://www.mediafire.com/?u8scq5x43j7virm

If the levelling on these is wrong as well, can you tell me how to differentiate between good and bad levelling?t

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:08 pm

I'll leave typesetting up to Hazama btw, he'll check over your test later, I think.

Well, at leveling you want the whites mostly to be white and the blacks mostly to be black. If you've leveled a few times correct you'll get grasp of it. Your current levels are still somewhat light-ish or darkish, but we'll get there Wink. Try zooming in on a part with a black and some white, so you can see light dusts and blacks, might help you level correctly.

On the page 1 raw, a correct level would have no dusts on blacks / whites, this page doesn't have very dark or very light grays you have to watch out for so you should be able to level out all the dusts. On the blacks you succeeded, on the whites, almost- but no dusts any normal person should be able to see with the page not zoomed in. You kinda ''over cropped'' it- the white margin is supposed to be there- in fact, because there is a white margin you don't always have to crop on pages like this when rotating (since the white margin will only get a little bigger) saves alot time. But yeah, don't crop till the borders - the page's not supposed to look like this. Otherwise it's pretty good, forgot to remove some out the bubble texts, but oh well. On thing though - I select most pages in tests because there's some evil trap in there and you tumbled in :p. There's 1 gray (very very minor, on a release we could actually leave it like that, just telling you so if you encounter the same thing you know what to do) on the middle panel inside the letter, the 'V' shaped thing, that has become partly black. Sometimes very dark grays or very light grays become nearly black / white. In that case, level the page normally, select that certain gray with for example the polygonal lasso tool, and select the background layer. right click on the selection and press 'Layer via copy'. You will get a new layer with only the selected gray on it. Drag it above your leveled layer, and level it a little lighter then normally, so the gray stays gray. Then (optionally) merge it down with your background layer.

On the page 08, the levels were again pretty good, visbile dusts left on white- you should level a bit more to white, lots of visible dusts left on black. When giving you this page I told you that just leveling doesn't cut it; If you zoom in you'll see that the blacks aren't completely black, but there's still loads of dust laying around. (You should not level this out, in fact if you do the grays will look horrible). We need to blacken it somehow though, so I suggest the burning tool. Now I could write out a whole thing about how to use the burning tool, but lots of people before me did that already so I'll link you to this guide: http://senbonzakura.kageyoshi.net/2008/01/11/inking-for-speed-scans-burn-tool/

I actually exactly use this guy's method, however the settings for the wand tool on this page can be a bit lighter then 50. 20 should do fine. Normally you'd do this on the unresized layer . (Resize after the whole cleaning is done unless it's alot more work on the unresized page) but you already resized, so you can just do it on this layer. Watch out for weak white lines and dark grays when burning, we don't want to ruin that Wink If there's something that doesn't burn, manually make it black with a brush or something. I occasionally ink by selecting a part and filling it with black, if it doesn't burn (on this page, everything is burn-able though)- I'll link you to another inking guide now we're on the subject.
http://senbonzakura.kageyoshi.net/2007/12/26/filling-in-blacks-and-whites/ You can also just brush btw.

The redraws aren't bad, though you occasionally forgot to redraw / remove a part :O. I wonder what happened with the sky gray on the panel right bottom. The top is nearly black and very blurry (how come?)

So what I'd like you to try is inking the blacks on page 08. And in the future, don't crop pages like page 01 (Don't worry you couldn't know that, in fact another cleaner who just 'graduated' from here did the same).

SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:20 am

Cleaned up 08 pretty thoroughly:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8k7fxooid8w93hf

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazama on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:18 am

Took a look at the typesetting test,
please change these settings and redo the test Smile

this way, you dont have to press space before every word all the time :>
Good job making the text layers though! Just as I wanted you to do. :]

also, here are the fonts ~
http://www.mediafire.com/?00nuwcg3vrm8ley
http://www.mediafire.com/?x1s6lv9p5kxge93

バカメ!
Hazama
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:25 am

Wow man, you actually redid some grays :O.
It actually looks better without the high pass filter - The high pass doesn't really look good on grays, if you're redoing grays; keep them on a different layer then your high pass.
Further then that it all looks very good, not much to say about it. Though you did it really well, it probably took you some time too- It isn't necessary to redo grays on a page like this, it will take alot of time. We generally don't redo grays unless they're really really bad. On page 11 for example, I believe we redid the grays on the 2nd panel because they looked horrible.
I'll move you on to dustier magazine pages now, you're gonna clean page 07, however if you try to level it you will see that it needs something more then just that. I'll explain you how to do that later don't have the time at the moment Wink.

SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zc1995 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:38 am

This guy seems pretty awesome O.O

zc1995
Typesetter
Typesetter

Awesome Points : 700

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 am

Alright, you'll have to download a program called 'Topaz denoise'. I use 2.2 and have a link to that one- however I guess you rather want the never version, it produces more or less the same results but alot faster.
Install Topaz clean and Topaz denoise from this package:
http://www.mediafire.com/?n37rhck50dgc5kj
It's not the newest version, but better then mine. Ignore the instrucions there other then installing instructions. !!
Now we use a standard action for those kind of pages, sometimes tweaking it a little for different raws, I highly suggest you to make your own action. I can't give you my action, because that one is recorded with Topaz 2.2 =/.
Do the following:
Rotate and crop the page (no action recording yet).
Now click the record button
Go to Image -> mode -> rgb color
Duplicate the background
Go under Filter -> Blur -> Surface Blur... and apply the settings 18 /10.
Go under Filter -> Topaz Labs -> Topaz Denoise and apply settings 1.15 for noise reduction, 0.25 for deblur.
Now this will take long.
Convert the Mode back to Grayscanle, under Image -> Mode.
Surface Blur again with 18 / 10.
Dublicate the Background Copy layer.
Set the mode of this layer to "Color Burn".
Set the Opacity of that Layer to 20%.
Level it a tiny tiny bit, and then merge it down on the Background Copy layer.
Stop recording
(You should have only a Background (RAW) and Background Copy Layer now)
Now level the background copy normally, and use the burn tool to fill the blacks, or manually ink some hard blacks, treat faded lines etc.
If there's a blurred texture, select it with a polygonal lasso tool and right click -> layer via copy on the raw. Then level and and your texture will look better again.
When you're done resize the page to 1200, resolution of 72, finish up last things and do bubbles / redraws. And check your dusts with an adjustment levels layer. Just make an adjustment levels layer, and overlevel is to white / black to see dusts.
Now try this on page 07
Good luck!
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Hazama, here's the retry of the typesetting:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ikbbzl8ajmc704y
=======

Ringo, thank you for the clear-cut instructions! I'll download the software now, but since I'll be busy today, I'll post the edits tomorrow.

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazama on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:54 am

Great job on your cleaning :>

Regarding typesetting,
please check your work again.
pay attention on centering texts.. The other texts we're centered correctly, others were too high. Though I must say, TSing gamaran which is 1400px height btw is annoying lol XP no matter how much you properly resize the font size, it still looks shit XD
also, please read the font instructions. Texts that are outside the bubble are considered 'thoughts'. Or simply monologue.
you should be able to recognize a monologue when you see it, right? Wink
spikey bubbles are of course shout bubbles.

バカメ!
Hazama
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Ringo, I forgot to tell you: I have a Mac. The installer you gave me doesn't open. I'll try to google a mac version.

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 am

Found and installed Topaz Denoise. Will look for Topaz Clean and make the actions tomorrow.

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:18 am

Ah, I'm sorry =/. (should have figured from the Mac map in your uploads)
Btw Topaz clean isn't necessary, It's just a funky filter that can do good work if your grays look kinda shoddy- we don't use it that often.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 am

The typsetter test:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4xp3r215ssp1j6p

@Ringo,
My 07 edit is a mess. I used Topaz 5, and since it has different parameters than Topaz 2, I used this guide:
http://forum.mangastream.com/showthread.php?t=8899

Here's the edit:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f84egidf5ablac4

The trees in the bottom panel look terrible, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I tried Layer via copy + levelling, but it didn't help much.

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 am

Weird settings; not sure what parameters it has though because I've never worked with topaz 5. The surface blur filter in their kind is kind of heavy though, a radius of 23; I'd suggest you to keep that lower.
The page isn't bad; the weird thing is that the denoiser didn't 'ruin' the things I expected it to ruin. The dragon in the first panel for example is something that gets blurred when I run my thing, just like his boots and the scissor thing. (so I leveled those from the raw like you did with the plant). What you did with the plant isn't bad, perhaps leveled a little heavy but ok. Not much dusts left.
To be honest I don't like the guide too much, I really wouldn't suggest to resize to a bigger size when leveling; because resizing and downsizing before the final resize really does weird things with some fine lines and grays. hm.
Small dusts, nothing big. As the last test I'd like to see you do 12; it's probably the worst kind of mag raw. And not all mag raws are cleaned with a denoiser, for example the berserk page in the test can be fixed by just leveling; only use filters if you get a sifignantly better result with it. Btw, could you; after denoising the page, duplicate the layer and work further on the duplicate? I want to see how the denoised page looks Wink
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:12 am

Here is the 12 clean:
http://www.mediafire.com/?d3g1vc2evwn79yy

I didn't even understand why the guide would suggest resizing to a larger size. Did the guide-maker think it would be easier to spot dust that way?

Also, why do we do a surface blur before the Topaz Denoise?

While editing 12, I had to manually use the brush tool to cover most of the dust, because the magic wand tool etc. weren't selecting the dust. Is there a faster way?

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazama on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:22 am

That was better. A QC would fix the small parts.. anyways here's the final: http://www.mediafire.com/?bzu8vebgvkvst1k

バカメ!
Hazama
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)
LUV EEEEEET щ(゚Д゚щ)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:58 am

Well, resizing to a larger size and then leveling will get rid of more dusts, because when you downsize photoshop merges the several colors into 'less', not sure how to explain this. However lines and crosshatchings and grays and textures and other small things get a little messed up, so I rather clean up dusts more. Well, Jump has a very annoying selection of pages, the magic wand tool trick usually doesn't get rid of all the dusts, on some you have to manually ink most of it. Yeah. The surface blur is because the contract on blacks and whites of most mag pages is a tad bit large for a denoiser, the surface blur doesn't do much actual damage to lines if used sparingly. That guide however has the radius set a bit too much to my taste, I usually use 10/15 for settings. But you can choose for yourself ofcourse, as long as the result is good.

And the link you have posted is your page 08 edit Razz
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by muse on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 pm

The actual 12 clean:
http://www.mediafire.com/?k48ld29tyezfojr

Thank you for the explanation; I understood. I was stumped by "the contract on blacks and whites of most mag pages is a tad bit large", until I realized you meant "contrast". Smile

muse
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next