applyng for editor

Go down

applyng for editor

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:48 am

hi...
would like to become an editor for this scans group ...emmm
i pretty much know how to redraw but got porblems with cleaning and typesetting so... please guide me

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

Awesome Points : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: applyng for editor

Post by zc1995 on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:43 am

Hmmm,well,good to see another application,
Shall wait for ringo or hazuma

zc1995
Typesetter
Typesetter

Awesome Points : 700

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:36 am

Hm do you just want to try the cleaning test to let us see your level; or do you really have no clue on how to clean a page? Surprised
Depending on your answer you'll get further instructions; I'll give you the tests here:
cleaning test: http://www.mediafire.com/?8ymx2634lxxofti
Typesetting test: http://www.mediafire.com/?dv5xx8yn35drmsd
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

Awesome Points : 10826

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 am

ill try and see...
its that im bad at rotating. i mean like really bad (got a messed up sense of direction)
but ill do it

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:01 pm

For rotating you don't really need a sense of direction. You should do the following: Take a border that should be straight (a horizonal or vertical panelborder) and zoom in on there. Then pick the ruler tool (can be found under the eyedropper tool) and click one end of the panelborder and drag it to the other end (zoomed in for more precision). Then click Image -> rotate canvas -> Arbitrary and click ok. No sense of direction needed for that Wink If I wasn't clear (I can't really explain things well I guess) there's a nice guide here: http://www.unblessed.net/guide/main.html click on cleaning, and rotation.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm

there it is

http://www.mediafire.com/?wczr27r2ab5r5ra

i put bot of them togheter cus.... em... cus... im lazy Neutral

hope i passed

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Ah you're spanish? (your version of photoshop is Razz)
Wall of text coming on. Do not worry, I type a wall of text on nearly every beginning cleaner, it's not as bad as it sounds.
It's a good start but not quite there yet, some things on both tests:
Typesetting test: You need to work a little bit on your font placing; You can make the text a bit smaller and try to form it into the diamond kind of shape... Look at another good groups typesetting, mangastream for example (yes hazama, it's from your suggestion). Also the gamaran page had a text effect in the first bubble, it should have a white stroke around it. You do this by right clicking on your text layer, click blending options, then go to stroke, make it the correct ammount of pixels and set it to the correct color (in this case, white).
Cleaning test: I'll be going trough this per page.
Page 1: Your leveling was pretty good, perhaps a bit too much on the white side. On the first panel in this page is a gray in the background with wasn't really visible anymore. And the texts on the first panel should be covered by copying the gray and not by making it white; though this is probably due to the heavy white leveling. Great job removing the SFX's trough the page, though they aren't needed xD. Last cleaning test I looked at did the same lol. There's nothing wrong about it, but you'll find yourself doing alot extra work if you redraw every SFX. On the second panel the text should also be copied, but already said that. At the last panel you removed the part of the bubble and not the whole text, but nothing big. Finally cropping was a little off.
Page 2: Same cropping issue; a bit underleveled to black, Painfull redrawing of the sfx (painfull because it was alot of work) though you were a little off patterned in the gray copying. When copying a gray pattern, try to click your source point at a certain point in that pattern and then copy over the text from that same point (because a pattern repeats and repeats). If you want a picture example say so. About the redraw on the first panel; It wasn't complete. Copying also does not work on speed lines, heres how I do them: Make the text make, then redraw the speedlines by using the line tool. At the top, where you can set the pixel size for the line tool and different shapes etc there's a little arrow pointing down. Click that one and you get a menu for 'arrowheads'. for these kinds speedlines pick something between 500 ~ 1000, and click the end of start button, wichever you prefer (don't click both when redrawing speedlines). Then redraw the speedlines, it'll be easy with this just trace over existing lines, use 2 pixel for thicker speed lines or if thats too thick, do the speedlines on a seperate layer, and when done duplicate the layer and merge it with the old one. (if thats too thick too, set the opacity for the duplicated layer a bit) Finally there's a rip mark from the page left in the bottom right corner.
page 3&4: We mostly clean these mag scans with the help of some tools. In case you're wondering whats wrong with your version : Dusts on everything (don't worry thats not your fault, it's the page), No resizing / cropping.(none of the pages were resized, your pages will look better if you resize them when you're done with editing. we mostly use 1200 px height for our standard size) Copying on the gintama page was good (page 4). You will likely never have to clean these pages without any denoising filter, since we're not a hq group (in fact there is only ONE hq group at the moment (Ju-ni), others who claim to be hq are not. It's a shame that Japflap and maximum seven quit doing hq, sigh.) Let's just focus on the first two pages, we'll teach you how to tackle the mag raws later.

Any questions or want a better / more explanation on something? feel free to ask. Now do you want to retry those first two pages or want some other pages for a change (tankobon raws, the same kind of raws ofcourse)? We can always grant additional help so feel free to ask ~.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:06 pm

okey....
then ill redo the first 2 pages...
and yeah im argentinian

i dont understand what i did wrong in the first page Embarassed

in pages 3 and 4 i forgot to resize xD

edit: actually looked at the 2 pages and can you give me other ones cuz i dont really get the first one and in the second one... i dont wanna redraw everything again xD

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Well, one of the pages I'm giving you does contain a redraw - since you will need to be able to redraw...
The redraw is not as hard as it looks. Just copy the pattern first. (be sure to copy with the pattern, if you're copy is offpatterned it's clearly visible that you copied it) then just draw the lines on top.
Pages are too big to show entirely, but just copy them and past into photoshop and you'll have it in full size.
Ah and remember, you do not have to redraw the SFX's.
Page 01:
Spoiler:
Page 02:
Spoiler:
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:18 pm

http://www.mediafire.com/?v2p6kdhgaa73l4w
there it is

dunno if i did well though
in the neuro page( i think its neuros) i left a part in grey i didnt know if it was bye the artist or the scan so i left it

Last edited by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didnt want to double post)

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah the 2nd page is neuro.
I can't seem to download it atm, mediafire is failing me. I'll try again tomorrow, hope you don't mind.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:59 pm

ill upload it in mu just wait 2 min

edit: here it is
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QVD8CNU4

sorry for making you work but i am really not patient when being judged

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:16 pm

Making me work? lol.
The leveling on narue was really good. Only thing left to say there was that your rotation and cropping was off, further it was good.
At neuro I think the leveling was a little bit heavy; you can see this on the lighter grays (too much white in it) and the darker grays (too dark). The redraw was a bit messy but it's starting to look better.
Do you want to move on with the mag scans or have some more practice on these kinda pages?
You need to watch out with overleveling, and don't forget to crop and rotate. And I'm sure your redraws will look better with some practice.

ah, one last thing that made me curious, why did you always make a white layer and then erase the tests in the bubbles of the background copy? seems like a kind of roundabout way; you can also just make a new layer and select the texts and fill them with white / brush with a white brush over the texts. You can use your own method ofcourse, I just think that this will save some time.

Last edited by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:17 pm

emmm whatever you think will help me get better faster xD

edit: mmm its just a reflex the white page thing...

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Well a mag scan basically has everything a tank scan have, but more. you will need to download a program though...
We use topaz denoise to denoise our mag scans. I am behind however and cannot give you a link at the moment, I run version 2.2 it seems 3.0 is also already out, meh.
alright I have found a link for 3.x for you- however it's something I just found on the net so I'm not 100% sure if it works. the links I used back then died out a long time ago, ugh.
http://hotfile.com/dl/30651205/a48bda7/TDenoise.rar.html
if it works (and I hope it will, be sure to scan it before unpacking, since I can't guarantee it's safety) then install and you should have a plugin into photoshop. You can also wait till Hazama or Audam drops a safe link that they hopefully posses.
Now this program can be really bad if abused and it saves alot of time when used correctly.
For more about the dangers of abusing: http://www.ruinevil.com/rawr/magazine/1.html
We have an action we use for HQ magazine scans, but again, my action only works with topaz denoise 2, Audam or Hazama hopefully posses the action that works with 3... (yeah, I should upgrade). I'll just tell you the settings:
1.15 for noise reduction, 0.25 for deblur.
Alright so you take one of the two pages from the test, rotate and crop, then...
You change the mode to (image -> mode -> rgb) RGB (topaz doesn't work in grayscale) and go to filters -> topaz labs -> topaz denoise. Tik in the settings and it will run. This can take quite a while if your on a not so fast computer, like mine.
When it's done, level. Now you'll probably see alot of dusts on the black, so grab your burn tool (can be found under the dodge tool, it looks like a hand) set the settings to shadows and choose your own exposure %, I use 30%. make every black black, do not burn on grays, don't burn on lines only on full blacks. (It'll be very visible otherwise) when thats done, downsize the page, do bubbles / redraws and check for dusts. then your done. these pages take a lil more effort then those others, but we clean the other kind more often.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by avhan on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:59 pm

ok ....
what do i use it on? in the 3rd and 4th pages of the test?

avhan
Newtype
Newtype

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuppaiNoRingo on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:03 pm

Yeah.
SuppaiNoRingo
Editor
Editor